Wednesday, September 5, 2012

She Who... Makes Gold?

I've stated before that I play the Auction House, so I figured I'd go ahead and give a little post going into more detail.  For those of you who have been keeping track, I've switched servers a few times.  Before I landed on my current realm, I played on the Horde side of an Alliance heavy medium pop server.  While I was there, I decided to make a run for the "Over 9000!" Feat of Strength, which required me to have a fair bit of gold to spend.  At that time, I began my foray into the AH.

By the time I went on hiatus, I had made over 200k with four 85s and the Enchanting, Tailoring, Jewelcrafting, Blacksmithing, Engineering, and Alchemy crafting professions, plus the Herbalism and Mining gathering professions.  Most of this went to purchasing mounts and gear for my achievement character, but a fair bit of liquid remained, as well as three guild banks filled with the materials for Jewelcrafting, Tailoring, and Enchanting.

Fast-forward to almost a year later, when a random forum thread brought me back to WoW, this time on a new server, in the form of a re-roll guild.  New friendships were forged, and my interest in raiding, something that had been in hiding since the end days of Wrath, flared back to existence.  With Mists of Pandaria still in beta, no release date yet announced, I was looking at a healthy raid life for my newly minted warlock.  What wasn't looking so healthy was his money bag, and as a result, his gear.  My mind instantly turned to that Jewelcrafter languishing away on my old server, with her months of cuts already learned, and I decided to start transferring my old characters, and their respective guild banks, over.

The transfers have been gradual, about one a month since I made the decision to do it, and when the release date for MoP was announced, I still had one, the Enchanter/Tailor, remaining.  I had already trained up Enchanting on the new warlock, and while I had started with Tailoring on him as well, the idea of continuing it to max when I had that perfectly capable other one just waiting to be transferred made my teeth ache.  So I dropped Tailoring and took up a second round of Jewelcrafting, mostly to ensure that I could learn as many cuts as quickly as possible in the next expansion.

What does all of this have to do with making gold?  Everything and nothing, really.  Right now I'm mostly in a holding pattern, using my JC and Enchanting to do the ore shuffle often enough to make the gold needed to stockpile some farmable pets for when we finally get the Battlepets system.  Back on my original server are still my original Enchanter/Tailor, as well as two 80s that I'm using to level my two remaining bank guilds to 2 for transferring.  One of the two will have Mining/Herbalism, so that I can drop those on the two on my new realm who currently have them, replacing with another Alchemy and Inscription.  The debate right now is whether to go ahead and drop Enchanting on the older character and pick up a third Alchemy while she's still on the old server, where prices are higher, or wait until I transfer her.  Decisions, decisions, and time grows short between now and MoP.

In short, the majority of my gold-making is in a holding pattern until MoP hits; before that, I'm getting all of my ducks in a row (and on the same server).

MoP Checklist - Gold Making Version:

  1. Level both bank guilds to 2.
  2. While doing that, max Herbalism & Mining on level 80 druid.
  3. Either before or after transferring, drop Enchanting on female warlock and pick up Alchemy.
  4. Transfer druid & warlock with the two bank guilds to current server.
  5. Drop Mining & Herbalism on death knight & priest, respectively.  Train Alchemy & Inscription.
  6. Level Skinning & Leatherworking on remaining mage.  Transfer to current server.  Possibly reverse.
  7. Profit!

2 comments:

  1. "With Mists of Pandaria still in beta, no release date yet announced, I was looking at a healthy raid life for my newly minted warlock. "

    Release date is Sep. 25th - you got lots to do in a 3-week period :) BTW, nice to find a new blog never seen before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yeah. It was supposed to be a "History of..." styled post, but I guess I lost coherency somewhere in there. That particular line was referring to back in May; said 'lock is now 401 iLevel with a 5/8 under his belt.

      Lots to do, and lots getting done! I'll be doing an update post soon. I'm glad you found me, and I hope I can keep you entertained!

      Delete